By: John Basho Pou
Legends of the V-DAY:
Valentine’s Day started under the rule of Emperor Claudius II of Rome, who was involved in many bloody and crazy campaigns. Claudius, the cruel, was having a difficult time getting soldiers to join his military leagues. He believed that the reason was that Roman men did not want to leave their lover or family, so he cancelled all marriages and engagements in Rome. Saint Valentine was one priest who was the messenger of love and secretly helped young lovers to get married. But for this deed, he was beaten to dead and beheaded. He suffered martyrdom on February 14,in 270A.D. Since then, the day has been dedicated to St.Valentine.
Who is cupid, anyway?
In Greek mythology, Cupid was born as Eros to Aphrodite, the goddess of love and beauty. In Roman mythology, Cupid is the son of Venus. Cupid’s mother (Venus), feeling zealous of psyche’s beauty, had ordered cupid to punish her, instead, he fell head over heart over heels in love with her.
Cupid is the Roman God of love, represented as a naked winged boy with a bow and arrows.
Looking for love? Try this.
Cornelius Agrippa, in “The Ladies Oracle” suggested these techniques to find your beloved… (1) Take a few pines. Saying the Lord’s Prayer, stick each of them on your sleeve. You will dream of your future husband.
(2) Take a candle; look into the mirror, while either eating an apple or combing your hair. The face of your future husband could be seen in the glass as if peeping over your shoulder.
(3) If you receive a love letter with any particular declaration on this day, you can test its truth. Lay it wide open, then fold it into nine folds, wear it next to your heart till bedtime. Then place it in your left hand and lay it under your head.
If you dream of gold and diamond, your lover is true, if it is white linen you will lose him by death and if the dream is all about flowers, his love is false.
(4) Think of five or six names of boys or girls you might marry. As you twist of an apple, recite the names until the stem comes off. You will marry the person whose name you were saying when the stem fell off.
Pick of Romance or Evergreen Romantic Classics.
(1) Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte.
(2) Love Story by Erich Segal.
(3) Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell.
(4) The Thorn Birds by Colleen Mccullough.
(5) Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.
Six – Must-See- Hollywood Movies on V-Day.
(1) Addicted To Love (1997).Dir. – Griffin Dunne. Cast – Mathew Brodesick and Meg Ryan.
(2) You Have Got Mail (1998). Dir. – Nora Epron. Cast -Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan.
(3) Meet Joe Black (1999). Dir. -Maria Brest. Cast -Brad Pitt, Anthony Hopkins and Claire Forlani.
(4) There’s Something About Mary (1999). Dir. – Bobby and Peter Farelly. Cast – Cameron Diaz, Ben Stiller and Matt Dillon.
(5) Shakespeare In Love (1998). Dir. -John Madden. Cast – Joseph Fiennes and Gwyneth Paltrow.
(6) Six Days Seven Nights (1978). Dir. – Ivan Reitman. Cast – Harrison Ford and Anne Heche.
A Present To Present.
Cards: Archies, Hallmark, Gibsons, Paper Rose or Anne Geddes are some of your choices ranging from the humorous to the utterly romantic couples with flowing verse – there is no shortage of words. You may choose musical cards brought to you by Alankar and Gyan cards.
Floral Tributes: Flowers or bouquets are right gifts to send to a loved one. A Valentine’s bouquet will set your partner’s heart beating faster, especially bright red roses – the flowers of true love.
Aroma: Splash on some exotics scents like Escada, Nina Ricci’s L’air Du Temps, Montana, Burberry’s, etc. It is one single way you can trap the person you like.
Teddy – Bears: For those who love stuffed toys or cuddles, you have cute teddy bears holding little hearts in their hands. Some even sing out love songs.
Chocolates: A gift for someone you love. Chocolates are great gift idea on an occasion like Valentine’s day.
Jewelry: For people who believe in investing and not just spending, a gift of gold would be cool. Gold pendants, rings, earrings and chains could be given as a token of love.
Kill her/him Softly With These Songs:
(1) “You are so beautiful” by Joe Cocker.
(2) “As time goes by” from the motion picture Casablanca.
(3) “Something” by the Beatles.
(4) “Can’t help falling in love” by Elvis Presley.
(5) “I will always love you” by Whitney Houston.
(6) “Unchained Melody” by the Righteous Brothers.
(7) “My heart will go on” from the motion picture Titanic.
(8) “I swear to you” by Bryan Adams.
Say It With Flowers…
Flower…………..What it depicts
(c) Daisy………….Loyal love
(d) Orchid…………Mature love
(e) Red rose……….Romantic love
(f) Pink rose………Secret love
(g) Yellow rose…….Friendship
(h) Sunflower………You are splendid
(i) Lily…………..Purity and sweetness
(j) White rose……..Innocent love
(k) Blue bells……..Everlasting love
(l) Red carnation…..My heart aches for you
(m) Pink carnation….I’ll never forget you
(n) White carnation…Pure love
(o) Daffodils………You are the only one
(p) Fern…………..The secret bond of love
(q) Forget-me- not….Faithful love
(r) Red tulip………Declaration of love.