NSCN (IM)-CFMG Chairman meet; no breakthrough

NTIMES 23APRIL: NSCN (IM)-CFMG Chairman meet; no breakthrough
Morung Express News | Dimapur | April 23

Ceasefire review committee of the NSCN (I-M) today met with chairman of the ceasefire monitoring group (CFMG), Maj Gen (retd) N George to break the impasse between the Assam Rifles and NSCN (I-M) over the April 19 incident near Hebron Camp.

The meeting remained inconclusive as the CFMG chairman left the meeting after an hour to reportedly consult with Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) on the issue and returned only three hours later. After his return, George briefed the NSCN (I-M) leaders and left without meeting the media.

After the meeting, team leader of the NSCN (I-M) ceasefire review committee, VS Atem, told media persons that both sides (Government of India and NSCN) are keen to resolve the present impasse.

“The problem will be resolved because it is not a big deal. It is a matter of procedure only,” said Atem who is also convenor of steering committee, NSCN (I-M).
The other NSCN (I-M) leaders in today’s meeting included officiating convenor of CF review committee, Vikiye Sumi, Kraibo Chawang (member) and CFMG member S Among. It is learnt that another meeting in likely to take place Tuesday to break the impasse.
According to reliable sources, the office of Director General of Military Operations (DGMO), Delhi, is yet to give a clear cut decision on the stepped up activities of the Assam Rifles near the NSCN (I-M) designated camps.

Meanwhile sources informed Newmai News Network that hectic emergency meetings are also underway in New Delhi involving Thuigaleng Muivah, Isak Swu and representatives of the Government of India since yesterday in this connection.

It may be mentioned that simmering tension between the Assam Rifles and NSCN (I-M) reached another breaking point on April 19 last when a truck of the 29th AR carrying five armed jawans almost gate crashed into the NSCN (I-M) council headquarters, Camp Hebron.

The truck (MN-7430) with the five AR jawans on ROP duty “under direction of camp commander Maj. Sukanta” was halted by NSCN (I-M) cadres just 20 metres away from the entrance gate of Hebron Camp around 8am.

Irked by the “intrusion” of their space and violation of ceasefire ground rules by the AR jawans, NSCN cadres detained the five jawans and seized their weapons, forcing the intervention of the CFMG chairman who after visiting the spot of the incident, also admitted that the AR troops have violated the ground rules.

While the five AR jawans were released the same day, the NSCN (I-M) is yet to return the seized arms.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s