The Naga political Case is completely different from all other political Cases in the North East. It is not a case of SECESSION because the Naga Case was born in 1929, long before India became Independent in 1947.
All other political Liberation Movement of the Indigenous people of the North East like the KLP, ULFA or those of the Khasis, the Garos, or the Kacharis and the Bodos may be termed as SECESSIONIST because they were part and parcel of British India before 1947 and of India for quite many years in Independent India after 1947 also.
But the Naga Case is not so; however, it would be better for tiny Nagaland wedged between several of World’s most populous and stronger Nations, to remain strongly associated with multi ethnic, multi religion and Secular, democratic India under satisfactory Terms of relationships.
At the moment the NSCN (IM) is under negotiation with the Government of India; they have the Fear of the whole of the Naga People but they do not have the mandate of the whole of the Naga People; moreover, they appear to be afraid of the Naga Public and have kept their Terms of their possible Agreement with India Secret. It is very very necessary for all Nagas to know, at least the Principle Terms, of the political talk they are conducting with India. Here are the Writers open personal opinions on the Issue:-
MAIN PRINCIPLE TERMS:
1. On India taking cognizance of Naga claim of Sovereignty, Nagaland agrees to a UNION with INDIA for 100years or Negotiated Period, at the end of which Period India and Nagaland shall discuss the Issue for a mutually satisfactory settlement.
2. During the Period of the UNION, India ensures the followings:
i. Article 371-A is made non-amendable.
ii. Similar non-amendable provisions are made to the Nagas in:
a. Arunachal Pradesh.
3. India continues to put its Diplomatic, Economic and Political influence on Burma to give to the Nagas in that State:
i. Freedom of Religion.
ii. Freedom of Traditional Customary Practices.
iii. Freedom of Movement for Nagas to and from Nagaland.
4. India makes Annual Financial Grants to Nagas commensurate with; its growth rate.
5. Nagaland is ensured special facilities for Foreign Education.
6. For the first 50 years, People from outside Naga Community, not more than 20% of the Indigenous population of Nagaland, vote in the Nagaland.
7. Non-Naga who has continuously lived in Nagaland and their descendants in Nagaland is treated as Indigenous of Nagaland.
8. Non-Nagas in Nagaland Government Service and lived in Nagaland continuously till Superannuation have the Right to vote in Nagaland.
9. Non-Naga married to Naga and their descendents settled in Nagaland is considered Indigenous of Nagaland.
10. There is a separate Ministry in Nagaland for the Welfare of Minorities in Nagaland.
11. Nagaland has a separate Representative of the President of India designated as: GOVERNOR-in-CHIEF.
12. There is a separate HIGH COURT.
13. The Indian Army in Nagaland is stationed solely, specifically and purely for defense from External Aggression, and not for any domestic purposes in Nagaland without the consent of the Nagaland Government.
14. Indian Nuclear Arsenals are not stationed in Nagaland without the approval of the Assembly of Nagaland.
By: Thepfulhouvi Solo