2013 in review

The WordPress.com stats helper monkeys prepared a 2013 annual report for this blog.

Here’s an excerpt:

The concert hall at the Sydney Opera House holds 2,700 people. This blog was viewed about 18,000 times in 2013. If it were a concert at Sydney Opera House, it would take about 7 sold-out performances for that many people to see it.

Click here to see the complete report.

Molest fury shadow on Naga peace talks

New Delhi, Dec. 30: Public anger over a molestation case involving alleged cadres of Naga militant group NSCN (Isak-Muivah) has sparked fears of a jolt to ongoing peace talks with the group, though the Centre sees an opportunity to drive a hard bargain.

Two protesters died in alleged firing from an NSCN (IM) camp last week when a crowd marched to the site demanding that the cadres accused of molesting two women recently be handed over to police. The alleged molestation and the backlash unfolded in Ghatashe, a small town around 100km from state capital Kohima.

This is the second time the outfit has faced public ire: people in Dimapur had protested what they had claimed was “unabated taxation” by NSCN (IM) cadres, a euphemism forextortion.

The latest unrest has cast a shadow on a 1997 ceasefire agreement signed between the then United Front government at the Centre and the NSCN (IM). It also threatens the momentum the 16-year peace process was seen to be gathering in recent months, until a key interlocutor quit.

The Centre has, however, smelt a chance to grab a bargaining chip against the NSCN (IM) from last week’s unrest and could resist its demands on integration of Naga pockets in other northeastern states such as Manipur.

“Killing of civilians amounts to abrogation of ceasefire,” Shambhu Singh, joint secretary (the Northeast) in the Union home ministry, said when asked about media speculation that the Centre could end the ceasefire pact.

The state government headed by Neiphiu Rio, whose Nagaland People’s Party(NPP) backs the cause of a larger Naga homeland championed by militant groups and was re-elected this March, is accused by some of silently watching from sidelines as the law and order worsened.

The fresh unrest and the alleged state indifference have triggered fears that sectarianviolence could spread to Dimapur, a Nagaland business hub bordering Assam and dubbed a “melting pot” as it is inhabited by Nagas and people from other states.

Singh, the joint secretary in charge of the Northeast, admitted the Centre feared the unrest could spread to Dimapur. Another setback was the resignation of R.S. Pandey, the Centre’s interlocutor in the talks. He was once the state’s chief secretary. – Telegraph India

Naga tribal siege forces insurgents to flee

30Dec: Sumi Naga tribals armed with spears, machetes and shotguns forced insurgents to evacuate a camp at Mukalimi in Naglaland’s Zunheboto district on Monday, following a two day siege which claimed at least three lives. Local residents, eyewitnesses told The Hindu, burned down huts, offices and vehicles after cadre of the National Socialist Council of Nagaland—Isaac-Muviah group fled the camp, leaving only a church standing.

The violent clashes come just weeks after New Delhi met with representatives of the NSCN-IM in the latest round of a long-running dialogue meant to hammer out a political compromise with the insurgent group..

“New Delhi is committed to ensuring the ceasefire with the NSCN-IM continues”, a senior Ministry of Home Affairs official in New Delhi said. “However, the siege underlines how fast public opinion inNagaland is turning against the insurgents”.

Violent showdown

Friction had begun building at Mukalimi after two Suma women said they had been strip-searched at an insurgent check-point on December 21. The Sema Hoho, or tribal council, and Totimi Hoho, or women’s council, demanded that the cadre involved be handed over to the state police for prosecution.

In a statement to media, the NSCN-IM said its own police—known as Crime Suppression Division—had arrested and sentenced three cadre, who it identified as Mapam Keishing, Mahori and Ninoto.

However, the Sumi Hoho rejected the NSCN-IM’s internal punishment, demanding legal processes be implemented instead. Local villagers answered to a call from the Hoho, and laid seige to the Mukalimi camp on December 26.

Even as over a hundred Assam Rifles personnel stood by, bound by the terms of India’s ceasefire agreement with the NSCN-IM, the insurgents inside the camp opened fire on the protestors on December 28. Five protestors were killed, and one injured. Sumi protestors returned fire; police sources say two bodies of insurgents were found in the camp on Monday. The seige also cut off food and water to the hill-top camp, leading the NSCN-IM cadre to run out of supplies.

Further firing took place early on Monday morning, an Assam Rifles source said, but the insurgents eventually accepted a safe-passage offer facilitated by the paramilitary force.

Deadlocked talks

New Delhi, a senior government official told The Hindu, hopes the fighting will force the NSCN-IM to adopt “a more realistic posture, keeping in mind its actual ground strength and popularity.”. NSCN-IM chairmanIsak Chishi Swu and general secretary Thuingaleng Muivah had met government interlocutor RS Pandey for two days of closed-door talks on November 21.

Mr. Pandey, a senior government official told The Hindu, reiterated an earlier offer to give Naga communities in both Nagaland and Manipur similar substantial rights across state lines—but without territorial concessions from Manipur on Naga-inhabited areas in the districts of Tamenlong, Senapati, Ukhrul and Chandel.

Later, though, Mr. Pandey has resigned as interlocutor after joining the Bharatiya Janata Party; the Union Government has made no fresh appointment.

The NSCN-IM’s leadership and cadre hails from the Tangkhul sub-tribe, based across the border in Manipur. It operates, though, in territories that are home to competing, and historically hostile, tribes. The Sumi Nagas, also known as Sema Nagas, who laid siege to the camp have long competed for power and influence with the Tanghkhul Nagas, who make up the bulk of the NSCN-IM’s leadership and cadre.

Kaito Sema, the former commander-in-chief of the Naga Federal Army, was among the earliest important insurgent leaders to join democratic politics.

Earlier this year, protests against proposed reservations for Manipur-based Naga tribes living in Nagaland pitted the newly-formed Naga Tribal Alliance, against the NSCN-IM backed Naga Hoho, which claims to speak for the entire tribe.

“India’s negotiations with the NSCN-IM have been driven by the belief that the insurgent group represents the people of Nagaland”, said RN Ravi, an expert on the region who earlier served with the Intelligence Bureau. “That belief was simplistic, and remains simplistic”.

Protests against the NSCN-IM’s parallel taxation structure, used to fund the insurgent group, also gathered momentum this year. Thousands defied NSCN-IM calls to rally in Dimapur on November 1 under the banner of the Action Committee Against Unabated Taxation to protest against taxes imposed on underground organisations on salaries, businesses and contractors.

Former Indian Administrative Service officer and social activist KK Sema called for “one government, one tax”. -HT

One more civilian injured as NSCN(IM), Sumis clash

The number of civilians injured in the armed resistance of Sumi people against the National Socialist Council of Nagalim (Isak-Muivah) rose to five after one more was injured as the NSCN(IM) and Sumi people exchanged fire again at Mukalimi in Zunheboto district on Sunday.

The Sumis, one of the major Naga tribes, marched to the Mukalimi designated camp of the outfit after their frontal organisations called a campaign to flush NSCN(IM) militants out of their areas.

On Saturday, NSCN(IM) workers opened fire on Sumi protesters, killing one and injuring four. The Sumi organisations called for the campaign as the militant outfit did not respond to their demand for handing over to the district administration the NSCN(IM) members who had allegedly attacked two women, and some men accompanying them, on December 21.

Nagaland Home Commissioner Temjen Toy said on Sunday: “Such a situation [as in Zunheboto] cannot be allowed to continue as it will likely lead to more violence and bloodshed. Therefore, in the interest of restoring peace and harmony in the State, the only option now open is that the camp at Mukalimi should be vacated, and this is being taken up by the State government with appropriate authorities.”

A senior district police officer told The Hindu that a huge crowd, including some armed with guns, had taken positions half-a-km from the camp, asking the NSCN(IM) to vacate it and go out of the Mukali and Sumi areas. “An exchange of fire took place, in which one civilian was injured.”

Mr. Toy said the State government had made efforts to prevent any confrontation between members of the public and NSCN(IM) workers stationed at Mukalimi, but it was not possible to prevent the thousands of people from proceeding to the camp. Naga civil organisations — Naga Hoho, Naga Mothers’ Association and Naga Students’ Federation — which met top NSCN(IM) leaders at Dimapur on Sunday demanded that the “culprits” be handed over to the administration through civil societyorganisations.

“However, it was quiet unfortunate that the NSCN(IM) leaders could not give any positive response; instead, they referred the matter to the collective leadership [NSCN(IM) chairman Isak Chisi Swu and general secretary Thuingaleng Muivah]. An ultimatum was sent to the collective leadership in order to resolve the problem which they themselves have created,” these organisations said in a statement. -HT

People marching toward NSCN(IM) designated camp

28Dec. Hundreds of Sumi people, incensed over an alleged rape and molestation attempt of two female passengers by four NSCN(IM)cadres on December 21, on Saturday marched toward the outfit’s designated camp in Nagaland’s Zunheboto district as security forces set up barricades to protect it.

District administration officials said that proper security arrangements were in place to avoid escalation of the situation.

Four NSCN (IM) cadres had waylaid a Zunheboto-bound vehicle near Aghuito town and allegedly attempted to rape and molest two female passengers and injured two other male passengers accompanying them in the early hours of December 21.

The Sumi people under the apex district body, Sumi Hoho, held a rally the next day and demanded that the four NSCN(IM) cadres be handed over to the district administration within December 25.

With the deadline passing, the Sumi Hoho, on Saturday launched a ‘Flush out Mission’ and declared non-cooperation with the NSCN(IM), its secretary Vihuto Asumi told PTI.

He said that hundreds of volunteers from all Sumi villages were marching toward the designated camp of NSCN(IM) at Mukali, 30-40 km from Zunheboto town.

He also said that Sumi Hoho leaders tried to pacify the people, but failure by NSCN(IM) to hand over the culprits despite a written assurance within the deadline, angered the people.

Home minister, G Kaito Aye had also tried to pacify the angry people and held consultations with Sumi Hoho leaders in Zunheboto on Friday, but it was in vain. -PTI

Will vacate if Govt. provides safe passage: NSCN (I-M)

Dimapur 30 December. 2013 (NPN): NSCN (I-M) kilo kilonser T.T. Among has said that if the state government can guarantee safe passage to NSCN (I-M) cadres, presently under siege by several thousand Sumi volunteers, the group would cooperate and consider vacating the camp.
The NSCN (I-M) kilonser said in an exclusive interview to Nagaland Post when his attention was drawn to the state government’s suggestion to vacate Mukalimi. Among was also critical of the state government’s failure in handling the situation in not promulgating Sec. 144 CrPC despite having enough force to control the mob.

The NSCN (I-M) kilonser also alleged that the NSCN (K) was taking advantage of the situation in Zunheboto district by helping the volunteers to fire upon the NSCN (I-M) cadres in Mukalimi camp. He however asked how could the volunteers get hold of sophisticated weapons to fire at the NSCN (I-M) cadres inside Mukalimi camp unless they were supplied by the NSCN (K)?
Among said such reports were received that raised strong suspicion of involvement of NSCN (K) but were yet to be confirmed.
Further, he accused NSCN (K) of surrounding the camp on one side and public and Assam Rifles on the other side.
Asked why NSCN (I-M) cadres fired on the public, Among said that despite being warned not to cross the “red line” the public surged ahead “and along with rival group” and fired towards NSCN (I-M) cadres. This compelled NSCN (I-M) to fire back in “self-defense, “ he said.

“We did not go out and fire at them- they did. We are defensive but they are being offensive” said the kilo kilonser.
Among also condemned the alleged poisoning of the water source, used by the NSCN (I-M) at Mukalimi and described it as a clear violation of human rights. He also maintained that the heinous crimes on December 21 were not committed by the cadres in Mukalimi camp and therefore, urged Naga public to be sensible and not to vent their anger on those within the camp.
While expressing regret that Zunheboto situation could not be solved through peaceful negotiations, Among said that cadres now cannot vacate the camp as they were fully surrounded by the public, NSCN (K) and AR. Among also claimed that the NSCN (I-M) was yet to order any reinforcement for Mukalimi but wanted to settle the matter amicably.
He also confirmed that a delegation of Naga Hoho, NSF and NMA representativeswent to meet the NSCN (I-M) leaders to ask for handing over the accused NSCN (I-M)cadres to the district administration. Among said the request to hand over the three cadres was rejected on the ground that the NSCN (I-M) government is a “recognized government” and an “entity” and that being a Naga government, Nagas should not lose faith on the judgment of their government. Admitting that December 21 incident “though not rape, was as good as rape” and also an inhuman act which has brought shame and disgraced the government, Among said that such actions went against the belief and principles of NSCN (I-M).
On the gravity of the crime committed on December 21, Among informed that the NSCN (I-M) “security committee” wanted to award capital punishment to all the three accused. However, he said the same was not agreed upon by NSCN (I-M) yaruiwo Isak Chishi Swu and also by Sümi Hoho. He informed that yaruiwo also lamented at the heinous crime and said that the culprits must be punished but not amounting to capital punishment. The NSCN (I-M) kilo kilonser also informed that the “security committee” has awarded seven years rigorous imprisonment and court-martialed‘sgt.’ Mapam Keishing and awarded two years rigorous imprisonment and court-martialed‘corpl.’ Mahori and ‘pvt.’ Ninoto.
He reiterated that the three accused could not be handed over to the state government as NSCN (I-M) was a government itself and would stand by its judgment. Further, the kilo kilonser however said that if the public was not satisfied with the judgment of the committee they could request for a review by the collective leadership. On the fourth accused, Among disclosed that the accused was a mere public, the driver of the hired vehicle used by their cadres.
Pointing out that NSCN (I-M) did send a “goodwill team” to settle the matter, Among said that when the team was in the house of Sümi Hoho president the mob surrounded them and made them undertake a signed agreement under “duress.” He also said that Sümi Hoho should initiate and try to settle the matter amicably and that the Hoho should also control the mob.

New Year Resolutions

The dawn of New Year is meant the dawn of new resolutions or same old resolutions in New Year. Not one is perfect but every one wants to live a better life in New Year.

Therefore almost all the people make New Year Resolutions every year. If you make New Year Resolutions or take it again the same old New Year Resolutions – it shows your positive attitude. Every time we make new resolutions to do better in life, we are forcefully entering the new life with positive attitude. Every new year, we make New Year Resolutions no to break it. But we make and break the resolutions, which is one of the weakest points of human beings.

Breaking the resolutions what we have made and taking up the same old resolution is very natural. We make new resolutions after breaking the New Year Resolution but still you are on the right track.

We make New Year Resolutions to improve in our spiritual life, health, financial, old bad habits, social work, personal relationship with others etc. For some people, they are focussed to improve only on one thing while others take the resolutions in different aspects. Are you discourage because you could not carry on your New Year Resolutions till 10.20..30..Jan. Feb. March.?

Many people are conscious of New Year and they make New Year Resolutions but it is our conscience that we make firm resolutions only on New Year Day. Some time we wait Wednesday.Friday.Sunday to make New Resolutions on Sunday so that we can start on Monday to live a better life or stop our old bad habits.

Are you resolved to take up your New Year Resolutions? If yes you can do it by breaking many times and making new many times. If you break your New Year Resolutions within a month (January) still you can make another New Resolutions in February. It is only your conscience that make you New Year Resolutions only on New Year Eve; there is not any problem if you make new resolution every month or week. If you break your New Year Resolutions, which is meant for one year i.e. 365 days.

It may not be effective to keep for such a long days but still you can do it. If you break it your New Year Resolutions, try to make it New Resolutions for Six Months. If you break it your New Resolutions for Six Months, make it for One Month. If you break it your One Month Resolutions, make it for One Week. If you make your One Week and struggle everyday to improve One Week Resolutions, it will work wonder, which is much more effective than 365 days resolutions.

New Year Resolutions are meant to be carried out throughout the year. But many times we failed terribly. All those who make New Resolutions and resolved to improve their weakness always have positive attitude.

They may fail again and again but they will have better life than any other ordinary people who never made resolutions or try to improve their lives. There are New Year Resolutions that need to work hard throughout the year, six months, one month, one week or everyday. Usually all the New Year Resolutions that need to struggle or work everyday is the most difficult New Year Resolutions.

If you make any New Year Resolutions and break the resolutions – never think that you’ll start afresh next year. Everyday is a New Year for us and we can make New Resolutions. Making New Year is only our conscience and we need to know our conscience. Unless we know our own conscience – we can never improve or work out our New Year Resolutions or any resolutions to be carried out.

Our wrong conscience is same as our superstition. We need to come to our senses otherwise our wrong conscience will lead us darkness. It is good that you make New Year Resolutions; there is future for you as you continue to struggle. You can carry out all your resolutions. Never loss your heart for you will be Best New Year Resolutions Winner of the year.

 

Note: This article was first published in February 2006

Source: http://www.e-pao.net/epSubPageExtractor.asp?src=leisure.EI.How_to_carry_out_New_Year_Resolutions