Kohima, April 28 (NEPS): The 4-year old bilateral ceasefire between the Government of India and the National Socialist Council of Nagaland (Khaplang) has been extended for another 1 year today with effect from 28th April, 2005.The NSCN (K) entered for the first time into a formal truce pact with the New Delhi on April 28, 2001 for 1 year to bring a lasting and permanent solution to the long drawn out “Indo-Naga political problem.” Since then both sides have been extending the truce on a year basis.
The crucial high level meeting between the representatives of the Government of India and the NSCN (K) on the extension of the ongoing 4-year bilateral truce started at 11 O’clock today in New Delhi.
The both sides have unanimously agreed to extend the ongoing truce for another 1 year with effect from April 28, 2005.The representatives from the Government of India included Special Secretary and Joint Secretary of the Union Home Ministry while from the NSCN (K) side were C Singson, Kughalu Mulatonu, Nitovi Aye and Joseph Patton.
“We have a very cordial meeting with the representatives of the Government of India and unanimously agreed to extend the bilateral ceasefire between the Government of India and the NSCN for another 1 year,” Kughalu Mulatonu, Kilonser of the NSCN (K) told NEPS here over phone from Delhi today.
He said there were free and frank discussions in a very cordial manner throughout the meeting.
He also informed that no any other agenda was discussed during the meeting due to the ongoing Indian Parliament Session.
He, however, said revision of ground rules and other issues would be discussed in the next two or three months.